Mark Wahlberg has made it public that he is quitting the Transformers franchise following the release of Transformers: The Last Knight.
Wahlberg made his decision public while chatting with Graham Norton during a recent appearance on The Graham Norton Show: “It’s the last one so I get my life back!” (via Digital Spy).
Wahlberg’s decision follows that of director Michael Bay, who previously announced that this would be his outing in the director’s chair. Bay previously said he would quit the franchise following the fourth outing.
“There’s kind of a new chapter, a new direction in movies I want to make,” says Bay, who is eyeing a passion project, a documentary on elephant poaching. “I have a lot of stories to tell. And it’s about flexing new muscles.”
Alas, he returned to make another movie. In a recent interview with Fandango during the current press tour for Transformers: The Last Knight, Bay definitely sounded as if he was done with the series.
“These movies that I’ve done, they are massive movies. They take a lot out of you,” Bay said when we asked if he was finally — for real, this time — stepping away from the Transformers franchise. “I’ve done it enough, and I’ve had a great time doing it. I’m going out with a bang on this one, and I feel like you gotta go out while you’re ahead, you know. I think I’ve had a good run, and I’ve got a lot of other movies I want to do.”
Directed by Michael Bay, the newest installment stars Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Duhamel,Laura Haddock, Jerrod Carmichael, and Isabela Moner.
Paramount Pictures will release the fifth film in the franchise on June 21, 2017.