After breaking box office records, Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Infinity War can finally be yours now that the film has arrived on Digital HD this past week. The 4K and Blu-ray/Digital release is set for August 14, 2018.
Films like Avengers should be seen on the big screen but it holds up quite well on television. Those final 40-45 minutes are among the most intense and action-packed cinema this year. It’s amazing, really, to look back at just how much damage Thanos caused with the snap of his finger. Despite the action and subsequent horror in the final minutes, we do get some good lines. After Captain America hears the trademark “I am Groot,” he responds with “I am Steve Rogers.” He could have introduced himself in any particular way but went with his name. How cool is that?
Aside from the audio commentary during the movie, the bonus content on the Blu-ray is just shy of an hour. In spite of the short running time on extras, there’s some fascinating content. The “Beyond the Battle” featurettes offer some insight into how these scenes were shot. While shooting in Georgia, the weather wasn’t so cooperative and it led to lost hours of work. The two featurettes focusing on Wakanda and Titan should come with a trigger warning for those still suffering PTSD from The Snap.
It may be because the scenes ended up being deleted but the visual effects feel like they aren’t quite finished. You can hear Thanos taking to Gamora in one deleted scene but his mouth isn’t moving.
BONUS MATERIAL (may vary by retailer):
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Strange Alchemy (5:08)– Share the thrill of characters from across the MCU meeting for the first time—and discover why some were teamed up together.
- The Mad Titan (6:34) – Explore the MCU’s biggest, baddest villain, his trail of influence through the stories, and the existential threat he represents.
- Beyond the Battle: Titan (9:36) – Dive into the climactic struggle on Thanos’ ruined world, including the epic stunts and VFX, to uncover the source of its power.
- Beyond the Battle: Wakanda (10:58) – Go behind the scenes to find out how the filmmakers pulled off the most massive and challenging battle Marvel had ever attempted.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes (10:07)
- Happy Knows Best (1:23) – Tony and Pepper spar over the details of their upcoming wedding—until a hassled Happy Hogan pulls up with an urgent request.
- Hunt for the Mind Stone (1:24) – On a darkened street, Wanda Maximoff and the wounded Vision attempt to hide from Thanos’ brutal allies.
- The Guardians Get Their Groove Back (3:20) – As Peter Quill and Drax quarrel over their failed mission to Knowhere, Mantis interrupts with news.
- A Father’s Choice (4:00) – Thanos confronts Gamora with a vision from her past—and with lying to him about the Soul Stone.
- Gag Reel (2:05)– Watch your favorite Super Heroes make super gaffes in this lighthearted collection of on-set antics.
- Audio Commentary (approx. 149 min.) by Anthony and Joe Russo, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely
- A Directors’ Roundtable (approx. 32 min.) – Eight amazing directors reflect on how their movies contribute to the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s larger storytelling adventure.