As the start of the fest inches closer, TIFF unveiled the 10 feature films that that comprise the Platform program for 2022.
Platform is TIFF’s competitive program that champions bold directorial visions. From first-time feature directors to veterans, this year’s Platform lineup offers a diverse range of talent and distinct directorial voices that are emerging around the globe. It is a year rich in perspectives, genres, and exceptional performances by newcomers, as well as established actors. Sound of Metal (2019), Alice Winocour’s Proxima (2019), Kazik Radwanski’s Anne at 13,000 Ft. (2019), Sarah Gavron’s Rocks (2019), Armando Iannucci’s The Death of Stalin (2017), Pablo Larraín’s Jackie (2016), Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight (2016), William Oldroyd’s Lady Macbeth (2016), and Ben Wheatley’s High-Rise (2015).Emily, the feature debut by Frances O’Connor, has been selected as the program’s opening film, and — like all 10 films in the program — is a World Premiere. This year’s selection also includes two Canadian titles: Riceboy Sleeps and Viking. “We launched Platform to shine a brighter light on some of the most original films and distinct voices at our Festival,” said Cameron Bailey, TIFF CEO. “Now in year seven, it’s become a true home for international auteurs on the rise.” Named after Jia Zhang-ke’s groundbreaking second feature, Platform is curated by TIFF Chief Programming Officer Anita Lee; Director, Festival Programming Robyn Citizen; and Senior Manager, Festival Programming Ravi Srinivasan. “Eclectic in vision, this year’s selection not only represents all World Premieres of exciting, on-the-rise voices from around the world, but it also reflects the very timely and unique perspectives of racialized filmmakers from diasporic communities broadening the canvas,” said Lee. The 10 films in the program are eligible for the Platform Prize, an award of $20,000 CAD given to the best film in the program, selected by an in-person international jury. This year’s Platform Prize jury will be announced later this summer. Previous jury members include: Claire Denis, Béla Tarr, Brian De Palma, Mira Nair, Riz Ahmed, and Jia Zhang-ke. Previous Platform selections include Hany Abu-Assad’s Huda’s Salon (2021), Kamila Andini’s Yuni (2021), Darius Marder’s
Platform’s full 2022 lineup:
- Charcoal (Carvão) Carolina Markowicz | Brazil, Argentina, World Premiere
- Emily Frances O’Connor | UK, World Premiere (Platform Opening Night Film)
- The Gravity (La Gravité) Cédric Ido | France, World Premiere
- Hawa Maïmouna Doucouré | France, World Premiere
- How to Blow Up a Pipeline Daniel Goldhaber | USA, World Premiere
- Riceboy Sleeps Anthony Shim | Canada, World Premiere
- Subtraction (Tafrigh) Mani Haghighi | Iran, France, World Premiere
- Thunder (Foudre) Carmen Jaquier | Switzerland, World Premiere
- Tora’s Husband Rima Das | India, World Premiere
- Viking Stéphane Lafleur | Canada, World Premiere
The 2022 Toronto International Film Festival runs September 8-18, 2022.
Please subscribe to Solzy at the Movies on Substack.