Smallville: The Complete Series marks the 20th anniversary of its first episode by arriving on Blu-ray for the first time in its entirety.
The series came about at an interesting time for the franchise but it would come to define Superman for an entire generation of fans. Obviously, nobody can replace Christopher Reeve as Superman but Tom Welling but his own mark on the Man of Steel. The latter films starring Reeve basically killed the film franchise and any future films went out the window with his getting paralyzed. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, starring Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, aired 1993-97 on ABC. Interestingly enough, a new Superman film starring Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel, Superman Returns, did premiere in 20016 while this series was on the air.
Four years after the ABC series got cancelled, Smallville made its premiere in a post-9/11 world. Tom Welling starred as Clark Kent in a world where he’s not quite Superman but quickly becomes known as the Red-Blue Blur. The series would be a a hit. There might not be a Smallville-verse like with Arrow but this series is still a whole lot of fun. If you’ve ever attended Smallville reunion panels, you certainly know that Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum are a riot when together. Alfred Gough and Miles Millar certainly took us on one heck of a ride over ten seasons.
What comes with this set is all 218 episodes with over 28 hours of bonus features from all ten seasons. The Blu-ray set also includes 2 individual DVDs containing bonus features. The Digital Copy is only available in the US only.
Smallville was produced by Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink, and Warner Bros. Television.
The groundbreaking, Emmy-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest super hero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted up, up and away.
- The Adventures of Superboy – The original 1961 pilot starring John Rockwell.
- A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.
- A Decade of Comic-Con Featurette
- Paley Festival Featurette
- Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.
- Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.
- Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!
DEVELOPED FOR TELEVISION BY: Alfred Gough & Miles Millar
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Michael Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola, Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, James Marshall, Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, Greg Beeman, Ken Horton, and Tom Welling
CAST: Tom Welling, Allison Mack, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover, Erica Durance, Annette O’Toole, John Schneider, Justin Hartley, Sam Jones III, Cassidy Freeman, Aaron Ashmore, Eric Johnson, Laura Vandervoort, Callum Blue, Jensen Ackles, and Sam Witwer
Smallville: The Complete Series is now available on Blu-ray.
Please subscribe to Solzy at the Movies on Substack.