I never got around to posting The Solzy Awards in 2015 as I was dealing with a lot of shit at the time, mostly coming out as transgender while living under the roof of my in-denial parents. As 2017 comes to a close, I decided that I should finally get around to posting the awards. Better late than never, am I right?
I didn’t see Star Wars: The Force Awakens under the best of circumstances–major dysphoria, y’all–so the rewatch leading up to the press screening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi two weeks ago was much-needed. Even though I own The Big Short on Blu-ray, I should probably watch it again not to see if it holds up but to enjoy it under better circumstances. The night I saw it was a horribly bad day and even though I needed the film, I was in not in the best state to see a movie (In-denial parents returned yet another package of clothing I ordered).
Top Twenty Films for 2015
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Jurassic World
- The Big Short
- Bridge of Spies
- Boy Meets Girl
- Inside Out
- The Martian
- The Revenant
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
- Love & Mercy
- I’ll See You in My Dreams
- Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead
- Fort Tilden
- Larry Gaye
- Live from New York!
- Misery Loves Comedy
- Welcome to Me
- Best Drama: Spotlight
- Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Best Actress: Brie Larson, Room
- Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
- Best Supporting Actress: Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
- Breakthrough Performance by an Actor in Drama: Jacob Tremblay, Room
- Breakthrough Performance by an Actress in Drama (tie): Michelle Hendley, Boy Meets Girl; Mya Taylor/Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Tangerine
- Best Comedy: The Big Short
- Best Actor: Christian Bale, The Big Short
- Best Actress: Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
- Best Supporting Actor: Jason Statham, Spy
- Best Supporting Actress: Rose Byrne, Spy
- Breakthrough Performance by an Actress in Comedy: Bridey Elliott, Fort Tilden
Best Director: Adam McKay, The Big Short
Best Original Screenplay: Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, Spotlight
Best Adapted Screenplay: Adam McKay and Charles Randolph, The Big Short
Best Animated Feature: Inside Out
Best Action Movie (tie): Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World
Best Documentary: Live from New York!
It’s hard to do a rundown of my favorite comedies like in most years as I wouldn’t be able to do that great a job without ignoring many films since I don’t have my 2015 wall calendar on me. Those that made my top twenty films were the films that really stood out for me without looking them up.
Films like Boy Meets Girl and Tangerine helped play a role in my coming out, whether they knew it or not at the time. It took the increased transgender education and awareness during the year to help pave the way for my coming out as transgender in November 2015. Other contributing factors included Laverne Cox, Transparent, and Caitlyn Jenner.
The year saw a good amount of nostalgia with the release of both Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Jurassic World. Inside Out moved to the top of my Pixar rankings, taking over Toy Story 3.
— Evan Goldberg (@evandgoldberg) June 24, 2015