A number of special presentations headline the 53rd Chicago International Film Festival, which runs at AMC River East 21 this year from October 12-26, 2017.
This year’s special presentations include:
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown
- Call Me By Your Name
- Goodbye Christopher Robin
- I, Tonya
- Lady Bird
- Last Flag Flying
- The Shape of Water
- The Square
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Touch of Evil
I, Tonya and The Ballad of Lefty Brown were among the late selections to be announced as special presentations. Margot Robbie, who stars as figure skater Tonya Harding, can also be seen on Friday night as Winnie the Pooh author A.A. Milne’s wife, Daphne de Sélincourt, in Goodbye Christopher Robin.
Among the films screening under the U.S. Indies banner, a number of films have Chicago connections, including Blueprint, Chasing the Blues, Rogers Park, and Princess Cyd. Other films playing in this category include Life and Nothing More, Sollers Point, and Thoroughbreds.
A number of directors and talent will be walking the red carpet at the Chicago International Film Festival, starting with the Opening Night selection, Marshall. On Thursday, October 12, actors Chadwick Boseman, Sterling K. Brown, Josh Gad, Jussie Smollett, director Reginald Hudlin, producer Paula Wagner and grandson of Thurgood Marshall, John Marshall will be in town for the film, which officially opens on Friday, October 13.
Other notable talent will be in town on the following days for their films or a special tribute:
- October 13: Goodbye Christopher Robin – Director Simon Curtis
- October 14: Chasing The Blues – Jon Lovitz
- October 16: Blow Up and Sea Sorrow – Vanessa Redgrave
- October 18: Lady Bird – Tracy Letts
- October 21: Black Perspectives Tribute with Alfre Woodard
- October 23: The Ballad of Lefty Brown – Bill Pullman and Director Jared Moshé
- October 25: Tribute to Patrick Stewart
- October 25: Call Me By Your Name – Michael Stuhlbarg
- October 26: The Shape of Water – with Tribute to Michael Shannon
One short film to keep your eye on is The Replacement.