At a Comic Con panel on Thursday, Ivan Reitman announced that a new Ghostbusters movie is coming in 2019.
This announcement comes over a month after Dan Aykroyd said last month that Sony lost too much money with the all-female reboot and a sequel would be unlikely as a result.
The Ghostbusters panel, titled Ghostbusters 101: A Ghostbusters Panel of Biblical Proportions!, featured Reitman alongside IDW’s Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening, and Tom Waltz.
The Ghostbusters: Answer the Call comic came as a result of fan complaints following the lack of interaction with the original characters in the 2016 Ghosbusters reboot. While the surviving originals made cameos, fans had hoped that they would have passed the torch to a new generation like it had been thought prior to Harold Ramis’ passing.
“It was clear a lot of people weren’t happy the original Ghostbusters world wasn’t included in the new one,” Reitman told the crowd according to SyFy.
According to ScreenRant, Reitman was asked if there were any plans to honor the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters, which was released in June 1984. It appears that a new film is indeed on the way.
“Well, the studio is working on some really nice things. First of all, I can’t believe the movie is still playing and being watched so assiduously… and I can’t believe I’m so old. Yeah, I think there’s going to be a lot of fun, a lot of special things. We’re going to try to tie one of our films close to that date.”
Whether this is an animated film, one starring the original cast members, or a sequel to 2016’s reboot (directed by Paul Feig and starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth) remains to be determined. Reitman didn’t clarify which film we would see.